Sunday, January 5, 2014

Brrr....

Brrr...

Wow, I am so over midwest winters. The only  thing  worse than dealing with cold, winds, snow/rain. Is dealing with the elements on crutches. I know it could be worse but that doesn't mean it is easy. I really just wish for good weather again, I promise I will appreciate the good weather when it finally returns.

Winter Coats ~ When I found a really good deal on Grant's winter coat I probably should have thought about getting a coat or myself. The last time I purchased a winter coat for myself was in 1996! Seriously, now it was a really nice ski jacket that held the test of time but still it's time for a new one.

Monday + Hump Day + Friday - Wrapped into One Day ~  It was teacher record day this past Friday. I quickly accepted snow days are intended for student safety, teacher days go on as scheduled. I was glad to be back but I still have a lot to do before the 2nd semester begins. There is also the big question of whether we will have school tomorrow or even Tuesday due to the weather.  A couple of days ago it was really looking like we were going to get hit with really bad weather, now it looks like we may just be a little south of the storm. Hopefully, for the sake of our long spring break we can get by with just a 2 hour delay but then again I am kind of hoping for a snow day or two. I woke up this morning worrying about Curriculum Mapper and that I haven't even begun to get mine together for the new reading class that I teach. It's hard to create a curriculum map with the minimal materials I have for the class and the fact that the direction of the class is always changing because the class is driven by the students needs not so much a hard core outline. You see I teach high school special education, my reading class has high school kids who read on a 2-4 grade reading level. Their individual needs are so "splintered" and I find I am regularly changing the direction of the class to try to keep up with their needs. I guess to solve the curriculum map dilemma I will just use the Reading Recipe book I use and let my lesson plans explain the changes...

Cleaning ~ In my last posted I mentioned I wanted/needed to clean out drawers, closets, and cabinets. Today, I spent some time cleaning up the "pit" in our house, otherwise known as my bedroom. My bedroom isn't perfect but at least it is better than it has been in a long time. I have a bad habit of letting my bedroom become the dumping ground for anything I don't know what to do with or when we are expecting company and I have 5 minute to clean the house. Am I the only one that does this?  I have yet to work on any other part of the house.

Surgery/ Doctor ~ I have a dr. appointment tomorrow with my knee surgeon. I am hoping he lets me starting "walking" again. I am allowed to walk stiff legged just as long as I don't bend my knee. I still wear my brace and use crutches most of the time but I can walk with the crutches. While this method of walking is better than not being allowed to walk and at first it was great but now I find my hips and back are hurting. I think/know I am hurting especially at night because my body is out of whack from the awkward movements I use to get around, especially at home.

Until next time ....


No comments:

Post a Comment