Saturday, March 10, 2012

Trying this Again with a New Focus

I did it! I finally decided it's time to take charge of my life and find ways to help me be happy and actually live my life instead of just going through the motions.

My child is st
ill my focus. Work is still a priority. Family is still a focal point in my life.

So, what was missing?

ME!

I live a rather solitary life once I reach the weekends. I often come home from work on Friday and that is it, I don't make plans with my friends, I don't go out an meet new people, I don't go outside my comfort zone. So, what do I do? I sleep, watch TV, take care of my son, clean, laundry, groceries.

Life is not supposed to be like this. Right? How did I get here? How can I get out of here and start living again?


So, here is what I have decided to do....join Weight Watcher's online. I have tried Weight Watcher meetings in the past and was somewhat successful for awhile at least. Then I found I would be too busy with work and running my son to his activities to really be devoted to the plan and going to the meetings. So, I am trying the online route for now. The online tools are great and now that I have a smart phone and access to computers at home and school I have no excuses of it being inconvenient.



I have been "thinking" about doing something about my weight for years. The key word there is "thinking." I thought about my weight and how I was disappointed in myself many times a day. I would just become discouraged and got into the habit of eating whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted and before I knew it I had g
ained 30 MORE pounds. I found myself staying home if I didn't have to work, avoiding social situations, and being focused only on my son and ignoring my needs.

I finally joined Weight Watchers (again) on March 4, 2012. I guesstimated my weight to be 230 lbs. I haven't been on a scale in months and the weight was in the high 220's so I figured that was a decent enough guess. I have chosen to weigh myself on Fridays on the scale in the nurses office of the school I teach in, so I did that yesterday and was nervous my weight would actually be over 230! Thankfully, I weighed in at 224.5 lbs. I don't really believe I lost 5.5 lbs in 5 days but I was proud of myself because I know had to have lost a pound or two or three this week. Next week will be the true test of weight loss because I will have "real" weight to compare to as I check my weight.


I have had a range of thoughts and emotions this week. This point system has really made me see that my eating was out of control. Eating anything and everything I desired without concern over how it would effect me. Then later I would spent a lot of time thinking about how I felt fat, like a failure, depressed, sad, angry. In the past couple of years I would say most days I felt bad about how I looked and felt because of my weight MANY times a day. This week I didn't feel that way at all because I finally felt like I was in control. I don't feel like the Earth has shifted or that I have complete control ov
er the situation but I do have confidence that I haven't had in a long time and I was at peace with my body knowing I was doing something for ME!




Prom - Feeling like one of the "big" girls.

College not feeling thin but feeling good because I had conquered the freshman 15 by losing the weight over the summer.


Feeling great because my weight was lower than it had been in years!
My confidence was high and I was proud of myself....it didn't take long for
me to feel out of control and the weight started creeping back on.

Two years ago at Easter. I am a little bigger than this now but this was the beginning of spinning completely out of control and just giving up.

No comments:

Post a Comment